Thursday, June 23, 2011

Filling {and SNEAKY} Fruit Salad

Have you caught the Hungry Girl tv show yet?  It's been on the Cooking Channel and sometimes on Food Network too.  I love all of her sneaky calorie/fat cutting tricks and ideas.  
 Her Ginormous Fruit Salad Surprise sounded worth a try and it was!
The recipe can be found here.
Do you still print recipes out or do you use your computer, tablet or smart phone right in the kitchen? I do print some recipes out but this one was easy to follow on the screen.
Start out with strawberries, blueberries and a Fuji apple.
Gratuitous fruit shots...oooh and ahhh now, will ya?
The recipe calls for 1 cup of blueberries and 1 cup of diced strawberries. I doubled it.
Pop 'em in a bowl.
 
Now comes the sneaky part..cucumbers!  Add 2 cups of diced and peeled cukes.  Have I lost you yet? Does it sound gross? Trust me...
Chop up the Fuji apple (skin on) and add that too.
Now it's time to make the dressing.  Whisk up 1/4 cup of orange juice, 1 TBS of sugar and 1 TBS of Rice Wine Vinegar in a bowl.
Pour the dressing over the fruit/cuke combo and gently stir to distribute it evenly.
Cover and refrigerate a few hours (overnight is best).
Stir gently just before serving and garnish with mint if you like.
A serving size is 3 cups!
 Only 169 calories and 
1 Point Plus value if you follow Weight Watchers.
My kids are loving it too, the cucumber is really a great addition.
Linking up with:

Pin It

15 comments:

Cathy Kennedy said...

This fruit salad has an interesting twist with the cucumbers. Over the weekend, we went a retirement party and someone brought a fruit salad, but it didn't have cucumbers in it. I loved it! Anyhow, I may like this version, too. I'm willing to give it a try! ;) Thanks for stopping by today!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Heather, that looks and sounds so good. Thanks for sharing and love your photos. Now you have made me hungry. I do use my laptop in the kitchen for recipes. So easy.

Rachelle said...

It sounds really good. :) Yum. Fuji apples are my favorite.

Morgan said...

I really love to put fruit salad on my cold or hot cereal and pancakes in the mornings! I could eat fruit salad every day of my life. I will be trying this one when my cucumbers are ready from the garden! Thanks for sharing.

Terry said...

I love, love, love fruit salads. MMMMmm you are making me hungry and I just finished eating.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you come back when I start the giveaway for the exercise outfit. They have such cute outfits and are letting the winner choose what they want.

Mel said...

This looks so good. I went to the grocery store tonight to get the ingredients and forgot the strawberries. I did buy raspberries, so I'll make it with those. Thanks for the recipe and great instructions. I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out :)

Leovi said...

Beautiful sequence of photos where we show the preparation of a perfect summer salad.

Pamela said...

I put my fruit on a cloud of cool whip and sprinkle homemade granola on top. Oh so good! And I'll certainly have to try this with the cucumbers. Freak my family out. Ha!

kim c said...

saw ya at tater tots....sneaky indeed.

and looks pretty darned good!

have a great weekend

Juf said...

Hmmm, I'm not sure what to think of the idea. It does sound like it's worth trying out though!
Jacqueline

Cindy said...

I like surprise ingredients. I love cucumbers! This looks yummy. Have a great weekend/

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Beautiful shots! Lovely blog you got here...great recipe :)
Hope to see you on my blog:)

wayside wanderer said...

Sounds good, but it is frustrating that I can't copy and past the recipe.

Lisa said...

I just love fruit salad and this looks absolutely wonderful. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. It made last week's hit list. Good job!

Hallie said...

I was just stopping by from Welcome Wednesday but now I'm anxious to read more and to try this recipe too!! Hope you can stop by for a visit too! :)

www.ourbrokenroad.blogspot.com

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails