Friday, February 25, 2011

{What's for Dinner} Roasted Vegetable Parmesan

We have one vegetarian in the family and the rest of us are 'vegetarian friendly' so I'm always looking for something we'll all enjoy for dinner.
This recipe is adapted from one of Giada's recipes.
Roast up your vegetables. I used 1 eggplant, 1 fennel bulb (my new fave!), 1 zucchini, 2 red peppers.
The fennel looks like onion but has a licorice like smell and a delicious taste.  Next time I will use two fennel bulbs. You could also grill the veggies but I roasted them in the oven with some olive oil for about 30 minutes at 400F, turning frequently.
We had some leftover homemade vegetarian sauce in the freezer but I needed to supplement with some jar sauce too. Spread some sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
Layer the heavier vegetables first (eggplant)
Add a layer of mozzarella cheese and some Parmesan cheese.
Add more sauce

Cover with next layer of veggies(zucchini and peppers)
more cheese..
more sauce and then the final vegetables (fennel and some fresh spinach)
More sauce and cheese... do we see a pattern here?
Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes
I don't have the best picture of the finished dish because it was devoured so quickly.

This one's definitely a keeper. Have you ever tried fennel? Have I just been living under a rock?
Linking up with:





Pin It

14 comments:

BigBearswife said...

Thanks for the recipe!! Love it!

Life in Rehab said...

Perfect. With two vegetarians, we're always on the lookout for something everyone will eat, and this would be a great main dish for them and a good side dish for the carnivores. It's being forwarded to the chef.

Posh said...

Wow- that looks good!


Stopping by to say hi and to follow.
You can visit me here- http://poshonabudget.com/2011/02/tgif.html

Lindalou said...

Looks wonderful. I use a pinch of fennel in my pasta sauce, but I've never used the "real" thing. So...no you don't live under a rock.

Monica said...

It all looks so delicious...what time should I be there?? ;) I’m a new follower from “Follow Friday 40 and Older”, you’re site looks amazing and I’ll definitely be checking back often!! If you’re not already a follower I would love it if you followed me back!!
Monica
http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

Home Made Quilts By Granny said...

Na Na Na you don't live under a rock I've never tryed it either. Trish

Martha said...

That looks great. I've never had eggplant or fennel but it looks like something I'd love to try! Thanks for sharing!

Clipped Wings said...

Hi! Here from Follow Friday 40 and Over! Food...how I love good food. I've never roasted vegetables, but I guess I had better start trying it, as I'm told it brings out the best in veggie taste. Your meal looks scrumptous. I've grown fennel, cause I love to pull my fingers through it and smell the licorice scent, but have not cooked with it yet. Enjoyed reading the party and first dance posts. Very nice blog.
http://perfectionmoreorless.blogspot.com/

Rumtruffle said...

Visiting from Follow Friday 40 & Over. Mmmm that looks so good, I think I will give that recipe a go thanks very much for sharing. Hope you have a lovely week ahead. If you have a few spare minutes please stop by and say Hi.
Helen x
http://acraftykindoftruffle.blogspot.com

Debbie said...

Thanks so much for sharing this amazing looking dish. I bet it's wonderful.
Visiting on the hop from Edge of Escape

Samantha said...

um, my stomach just growled.

Jessica said...

I love new recipes!!

Happy Wednesday!! I am blog hopping today and decided to stop by your blog.

Please stop by and say hello and even become a follower (if you aren't already) at either of my blogs:

So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE Custom Blog Designs at http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

Jessicas Lil Corner is where I blog about life and family at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

Have a blessed Wednesday!! :0)

Jessica said...

I love trying new recipes!

Happy Wednesday!! I am blog hopping today and decided to stop by your blog.

Please stop by and say hello and even become a follower (if you aren't already) at either of my blogs:

So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE Custom Blog Designs at http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

Jessicas Lil Corner is where I blog about life and family at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

Have a blessed Wednesday!! :0)

Katie said...

Thank you for linking up. I featured you on Katie's Cucina. Please stop by and grab a "featured button" to proudly display on your blog!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails