Tuesday, December 7, 2021

{The Abode} Disaster to Home Improvement

We woke up at 4 am to our refrigerator water line spraying out all over the kitchen.  We turned off the water but it had already leaked through to the basement and office below.   I called in a restoration company to help us deal with the water. They were quick and so helpful in getting the wet stuff out of the house and drying out the rooms.  We then had to start the process of redoing all of the affected rooms.

This was the office with the rugs pulled up and wet drywall cut out.
The basement family room.
The kitchen and adjoining family room had warped floor boards.
We were very lucky that our flooring company could replace the floors and had them in stock to match our recently replaced living and dining room floors.
It definitely got worse before it got better. The subfloors were still damp so the fans had to come back in for another week or so.
Meanwhile the basement was getting a "glow up".  We picked new vinyl flooring in Cocoa and had the walls painted in Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace
We ordered a new rug that I love.
Swoon!
The finished kitchen flooring!
Now onto the family room. That also had to be dried out longer than expected.
The finished flooring was worth the wait.
 
Even our old rug looks nice on the new floors.  I'm so glad the work is finished and we have our house back looking better than ever!!

Have you ever had a home disaster? 

Please follow me!
Instagram @heather_ourlife 
Twitter @ourlifeinaclick 



Pin It

12 comments:

csuhpat1 said...

Sorry that you had to go through everything but the finished deal looks nice.

Ann said...

Oh, Heather....I am so sorry this happened, but your restoration looks wonderful! So glad that you were able to put everything back together better than ever. YES....we had this happen...TWICE. In our last home the laundry room was on the second floor. The seal failed on the washer( and I was so careful to shut the water off to the washer whenever we were not using it!) while it was doing a load and I did not notice until I walked into the room and my feet were wet. It traveled down into our kitchen, the water coming down through the pendant lights over the island. Ceiling eventually gave way. It seeped into our bedroom closet and guest room...a mess. But, like you - a wonderful company came and it was all fixed and put back to normal. Those fans and heaters are tough to live through - and I did not take the wine out of the wine rack in the kitchen and luckily noticed the corks were starting to pop out and moved the bottles out! Four years ago we moved/downsized to a 55+ community and apartment. A few months after we moved in the apartment above us was getting a new dishwasher, they did not shut the water completely off...we came home from an afternoon at the clubhouse pool to see the same scenario!!! But, once again...it was taken care of and all is as good as new. Enjoy your newly finished home - so glad everything worked out for you!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Wow, Heather that is so horrible that this happened to your home. The one good thing is that you were home for the accident not away when it happened. I am so glad that it's all over with and everything is back to normal. It looks great now. I hope you found out about the refrigerator situation too.

Nancy 's Fashion Style said...

I'll bet it wasn't as easy as you made it sound. Well at least not in the beginning. What a horror! I'm glad for you it turned out okay in the end.

Carla from The River said...

Oh MY!
I am happy things are looking BEAUTIFUL again. :-)
How did the kitties do with the fans?

Yes, many years ago our upstairs toilet got plugged. The toilet water ran down the stairs and into the ceiling of our lower bathroom. GOOD GRIEF! What a mess, but it all got fixed up, but I sure do remember how crazy of a time it was.

Bindu said...

Sorry to know about the mishap.
Everything looks great now. You are lucky to get everything done nicely

Creations By Cindy said...

Mercy....How awful and I hate that this happened. But oh...look at how nice things are now! Love the colors you have chosen. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Tamar SB said...

As my grandmother always said, out of bad comes good!! Sorry for the disaster but it came out so nice after!

Mica said...

What a stressful time! It's so good that you were able to get things repaired and replaced - the new flooring all looks so lovely! It sounds like it was a really stressful time though, it's good it's all over now!

Hope that your week is going well :)

Away From The Blue

Laura | Everyday Edits said...

Oh my gosh! We have a leak right now and can't find source. We have buckets in our basement (water is coming thru a vent) it's a small drip, but plumber could not get here until Monday. I forget which rooms had new flooring, but sounds like you got the basement flooring you were thinking about! How long did this take? Did you figure out why it happened?
We suspect a nail in the baseboards last March hit the pipe and the nail finally opened a pin hole for water. Plumber on Monday!

I was reading the Costco finds and saw this link. Back to Costco finds!
laura

tommie said...

Came across your blog while searching for something on Pinterest. So sorry this happened but it looks great! May I ask where you got the rug (the blue one with your sandals in the pic)?

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

@tommie Glad you found me! Thank you..we're doing much better these days. I've updated the post to link the rug.
It's the NuLOOM Vintage Harriet Medallion Fringe Area rug in rust, the 8x10 size from Overstock.com

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails