Since I adopted my kitties last year, I had given up on having plants around the house. The few I had were toxic to cats and I was too worried having them around my babies. I missed having plants so I started researching cat-safe plants and found quite a few of them.
Armed with my list, we headed to our local greenhouse. I was pleasantly surprised that they had so many on my list:
Cat Safe Plants
Boston Fern
Gloxinia
Venus fly trap
Areca palm
Friendship plant
Mosaic plant
Ponytail palm
Royal velvet plant
Haworthia
Parlor palm
Hoya
Ric Rac cactus
Marantas
Bromeliad
Herbs basil, thyme, rosemary
Spider
Calathea
Polka dot
Peperomia
Purple waffle plant
Christmas cactus
African violet
Baby tears
Orchid
Gloxinia
Venus fly trap
Areca palm
Friendship plant
Mosaic plant
Ponytail palm
Royal velvet plant
Haworthia
Parlor palm
Hoya
Ric Rac cactus
Marantas
Bromeliad
Herbs basil, thyme, rosemary
Spider
Calathea
Polka dot
Peperomia
Purple waffle plant
Christmas cactus
African violet
Baby tears
Orchid
There are quite a few different Calathea varieties.
Here are the plants we came home with. I will keep you posted how it's going. I'm going to try and be a better plant mom than I've been in the past.
We had another Groupon date - this time to a distillery in Flemington, New Jersey so we headed up there after plant shopping. First we stopped for lunch at Blue Fish Grill. I ordered the Asian Vert Salad.
We got to Skunktown Distillery shortly after it opened.
We were given a short tour and then had our tasting.We're not really "spirits" drinkers so we only sipped them but it was fun to hear about the distillery and sample a few of their award winning spirits. The Apple Pie was our favorite!


13 comments:
You guys always have sweet adventures. I cannot wait to go to the greenhouses for my outdoor plants. I am not good with indoor plants but my green thumb is strong on the outside we are about six weeks away from that and I cannot wait. Have a great weekend!
I didn't realize that certain plants are toxic to cats Heather. The new plants look great. I like the way plants look in a house. It looks like you both had a fun time at the distillery. I hope you have a nice Friday and weekend Heather.
Looks like a fun and delicious day! LOL...I am SO not good with live plants. Not a lot of direct sunlight in our apartment...I keep killing plants. Two orchids and several others so far. Just made a trip to Ikea today and found some wonderful faux plants...I figure they will be safe!
Our cats never touch the plants. They do eat flowers though. Enjoy your weekend.
So many neat varieties!
I am so excited to hear more about your plants. Did you pot them all up so cute? I am in love with that little little one.
What a cool field trip. Very nice.
It's great you've found some safe plants! I'm so bad with plants, we have even killed succulents! I'm trying to strike the balance of watering them enough but not over watering, it's tricky! I wish you good luck with your new plant family! :)
That salad looks so tasty too - what a fun day out!
Hope that you had a good weekend! Was a hot and sunny one here :)
Away From The Blue
Oh very cute plants
Looks like you had a fun day. Love all the pretty plants and I am itching to get outside and do a little spring cleaning among my plants. I love the herbs so gravitate towards those but I do like to add a little color to my little garden area. I am not a spirit drinker either so I would have to pass but I do enjoy wine tasting. I hope your day is wonderful dear Heather Lou. Hugs and blessings, Cindy
Yay! I just started embracing plants a couple of years ago. I have that pink polka dot plant.
Good luck with your new plants! I am not great at keeping them alive but I do have an old spider plant from my husband's grandmother that I've managed to keep alive since we got married. It did so well that I now have 2 other spider plants around the house and have gifted some off to other people as well.
That salad looks delicious. You had a fun day.
Post a Comment