Thursday, October 21, 2021

{Recipe} Lentil Shepherd's Pie-Vegan & Oil Free

 I can't believe I don't have a shepherd's pie recipe on the blog--I make it a lot so it was time to pin down my process.



Ingredients:
For the mashed potatoes:
3 large potatoes (approximately 3 pounds), peeled and chopped
1/2-1 cup of non dairy milk (I used soy)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 TBS nutritional yeast
For the filling:
1/2 onion, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cups dried lentils (green or brown)
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups mixed vegetables (frozen is fine or a mix of fresh & frozen)
1/2 bag frozen chopped kale
1 can tomato paste
1 TBS vegan Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried poultry seasoning
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried basil
1 dried bay leaf
salt & pepper
paprika for topping
To make:
  • Preheat oven to 400ºF
  • Add the chopped potatoes to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a low boil and cook until fork tender
  • Sauté the onions in some water, adding more as needed. Add the minced garlic and cook for a few minutes
  • Add lentils and broth and bring to a boil then turn down to simmer until lentils are cooked
  • Get your veggies ready. I used a mix of frozen corn and peas, fresh carrots and riced cauliflower

  • Add tomato paste and spices to the lentil mixture while it's cooking. 
  • Add vegetables to the lentil mixture once the lentils are done cooking (25-35 minutes)
  • Add some kale or spinach (optional), stir and heat through, keeping on warm
  • Drain the potatoes, reserving some (1/2- 1 cup) of the cooking water.  
  • Mash the potatoes with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast and non-dairy milk.  Add some of the reserved cooking water if needed.  Taste for seasonings and adjust if necessary
  • Pour the lentil mixture into a 2 quart baking dish  (remove the bay leaf)--mine wasn't quite big enough so I had to make a small pie too!
  • Spread the mashed potatoes over the lentil mixture
  • I like to decorate the top with a fork and to add paprika
The bonus pie.
  • Bake at 400ºF for 20-30 minutes until the top is golden brown
Enjoy!

Serves 4-6.  It's even better the next day!

Please follow me!
Instagram @heather_ourlife 
Twitter @ourlifeinaclick 





Pin It

9 comments:

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

This looks and sounds so good Heather. We love lentils and it sounds so healthy using the veggies. I will have to make this shepherd's pie sometime. Thanks for this recipe!

Mica said...

Thanks for sharing, this looks delicious! I've never tried vegan Shepard's pie before!

Hope you are having a great week :)

Away From The Blue

Tamar SB said...

Oo how perfect for a crisp fall night!

Carol On The Lake said...

I love lentils and this shepherd's pie looks so tasty!

Andrea Nine said...

This looks scrumptious Heather! We’d love a good shepherds pie around here!

Nancy 's Fashion Style said...

Gosh, I'll bet that was delicious!

R's Rue said...

I need to eat at your dinner table. Delicious.

Carla from The River said...

YUM!!! I am pinning. Thank you!

Hena Tayeb said...

Oh yum! The kids wouldn't dare touch it but I would totally dig in.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails