Monday, October 31, 2011

Sleepover Bash

 I finally caved and let my {about to be} 12-year-old have a sleepover for her birthday.
Here they all are in her new room.
She planned most of it and we kept with a fall theme.
A few of the prep photos.
 Setting up seating around the chiminea for later.
She even made all of the cupcakes herself.  They were pumpkin spice with cinnamon-cream cheese icing and vanilla.

One of my ideas was this Italian Soda Bar that I had pinned to use for the upcoming graduation party but decided to try it out early.  More on this later. I had the chalkboard from this Sweet 16 Brunch.
Dinner was simple: a LARGE tomato pie (served at room temperature), boxed Trader Joe's mac & cheese, fruit and Caesar salad.
As the girls arrived, I took their picture in our 'photo booth' using props from our dress up stash. We had made the moustache sticks last year and were finally getting a chance to use them.
Then they got to make their own Italian Sodas.
 They all seemed to really enjoy them.
 We served dinner buffet style in the kitchen and they ate in the dining room.
I was able to re-use this table cloth and her birthday banner from last year's Rustic French Party.
 After dinner, they went outside to hang around the chiminea and they ended up telling creepy scary stories.  My daughter is holding the "talking flag" (you could tell your story when you were holding the flag--it sort of worked, that many 12 year olds...it's hard to get a word in).
 I also thought sparkler drawing would be fun and they got into it..spelling out words..
 and making shapes with the sparklers
 stars..
 zig zags..
 hearts and circles.
 They came inside and decorated graham cracker houses (that we had made earlier in the week) with fall themed candy and other edible decorations.
These were also a big hit with the girls.
 Then it was time for those yummy cup cakes.
 and time to sing Happy Birthday.
They spent the rest of the night in the basement playing Just Dance 2, eating, talking, laughing...just being crazy and having fun till I finally shut them down around 2 am and went to bed.
I don't think they slept much and they were all up pretty early.
I made waffles for breakfast (while they jumped on the trampoline) and my daughter opened her gifts with a bunch of sleepyheads looking on.
They left with their candy houses and hopefully lots of good memories.
I was happy to send them all home and get some rest myself. I still had the family party to prep for the following weekend.  What's your opinion on sleepovers? I was really dreading it but it wasn't too bad at all.
Linking up with:
Making The World Cuter Monday
TGIF
Metamorphosis Monday
Make It Yours
We Did It Wednesday
Welcome Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Sugar & Spice
I'm Lovin' It
Alphabe-Thursday
Hey Mom Look What I Did!
Once Upon a Weekend
Pin It

14 comments:

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

What fun pictures & wonderful party! It all looks amazing! Those Italian Sodas looked delicious! Wow - I'd like someone to throw me a party like that =-) Thanks so much for coming over & linking up to TGIF Linky Party! I can't wait to see what else you link up!!
Beth =-)

Love Of Quilts said...

Your a good mother....I don't have any knowledge when it comes to party's....I had two boys. Trish

Renee said...

Wow, lucky girls! Looks like it was a great party :)
Following you from the Meet Me Monday blog hop!
http://attackofthehungrymonster.blogspot.com/

Michele Alger said...

Oh my gosh!!! What great activities!!! I can't wait to use some of your ideas...this is the true reason for your success. I think sleepovers are good when done well and planned right. Generally I'm not a big fan, especially when it's over at somebody else's house because I don't know what is being done. We've had some good experiences here, though ;) WELL DONE!!

Charlene said...

WOW that looks like so much fun!!! All I remember doing at sleepovers when I was a kid was pillow fights and pizza LOL!

You should totally link this to my kids activity party (Hey Mom, Look What I Did) at Adventures In Mommy Land...mostly so I can look it up when my daughter wants to have a sleepover ;)

http://adventures-in-mommy-land.blogspot.com/2011/10/hey-mom-look-what-i-did-4.html

So Domesticated said...

Looks like you pulled off an awesome party!

anitamombanita said...

looks like a very fun party! Way to go, Mom!!

Charlene said...

Thanks for linking to Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land...Hope to see you again sometime!!

Andy said...

Hello.
I was smiling all through reading this.
What a great way to stay connected with the kids & what wonderful memories for your 12 yr old & everyone else, including you (smile).
Great photos!
Thanks for sharing.

Autumn

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

This looked like the best party ever. I wanted to be there! The Italian sodas looked like they were amazing.
So many good ideas here.
Dana

Splendid Little Stars said...

What a super wonderful party! Your daughter is one lucky birthday girl!
I will have to try your recipe for sodas.

Annesphamily said...

My kids always had sleepovers for their birthdays and such! You were really over the top! WOW! Great ideas and your daughter is very blessed! I love the Italian sodas so that was a great idea too!

Jenny said...

What wonderful party ideas!

Your lovely daughter is really an amazing hostess! I suspect she learned it all from her clever Momma!

I bet her guests will be talking about that party for years to come!

Thanks for letting us hang out, too. I really enjoyed making my own Italian soda!

A+

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

Such an awesome party! Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope to see you again tomorrow :)
-Trish @ Mom On Timeout
http://www.MomOnTimeout.com

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails