Friday, May 7, 2010

Updating our Abode-Kids Room 1

Not quite Granny Chic to Little Girl Fairy Sweet:
The previous owner's mother lived in this room and frankly it was a little scary in there for our young daughter.
Once the room was emptied we were able to visualize it for our little one. She chose pink and lavender as her colors (I was fine with that as they were in her comforter set) and so two of the walls were painted pink and two were painted lavender.  Her bedding was Laura Ashley from TJ Maxx.
I used vinyl lettering to add some fairy quotes to the walls. Little flower fairies flanked the quotes and were scattered around the flowers.   I can't believe I actually have pictures of the process!!  I'm sure it's my scrapbooking background that I have to thank for that!
The other side of the room featured her loft bed and hideaway.
 She had a book shelf on one end and a desk on the other and lots of room for her baby dolls and stuffed animals underneath. We were able to use the valances I had made from her previous bedroom.
We added a vinyl transfer apple tree and lots of flowers around the perimeter of the room.   When she outgrew the loft bed we didn't have to look too far for a new one. We had a cherry sleigh bed in the guest room (another family hand-me-down) and painted it white. Some Ikea furnishings coordinated nicely with the older bed.  In the corner under the canopy is a little faux fur covered reading pouf (also imported from Sweden)*.







A Shabby Chic chandelier from Target ...

The tree, fairies and flowers really look painted on but they are just rub-on transfers.





The only major purchase we made for this room was this PB Teen desk and wall unit. We know she'll be using this solid piece for years to come.  The mirror is from our powder room update.

This is a great example of how we mix old (free) pieces with some new inexpensive purchases and one big spendy item to get a room fit for our little fairy princess.

Want to see what else we've done? Here are our other updates.
Linking up with:










Pin It

12 comments:

Niki said...

It is so fairy sweet...I know she must love it. The desk unit is awesome!

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Aww thanks Niki...I love hanging out in there (she does too!). We put a glass top on the desk so she can pretty much do whatever she wants to on there.
thanks for stopping over!!

Chelsea said...

Wow! The room before the remodel was ... yeah, you got it right - kinda scary! I love what you guys did to it - it really is a perfect place for your little fairy princess! :)

Life in Rehab said...

That room is every little girl's dream. I think the hideaway is my favorite spot...or maybe the chic PB desk...or the reading pouf...oh, heck I like the whole thing and each stage. Great job!

Heather said...

You have been busy! Very cute... I don't get to see much pink/purple with two boys:)

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Chelsea..glad someone agrees that it was a bit scary! :)

Sunny,..hope you caught my link to your site and terminology!

Heather.thanks! We did it over a few years.

heather

Life in Rehab said...

OMG, I just saw that! You're too, too funny! Thanks for the recognition!

Mel said...

A great makeover and so adorable.

*sigh* my daughter likes zombies and black and white.

Even I would hang out in that room

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

It looks like you invested in the right piece! It's flexible, doesn't take up a lot of room, has tons of storage, and will last.

Lucky girl!

Kelly

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Mel...zombies and black and white can be cute too!:)


Kelly..and Mommy can use it someday too.

h

Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch said...

Oh it is so beautiful!! I'm sure your daughter just loves it. We did our girls room in yellow and lavender. Once I finish their bedspreads I'll post it on my blog.

Thanks for linking to my Transform Tuesday party. I'm excited to see what you have for next week!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

wow- what a beautiful and magical room! your girls msut love their rooms! the bed is beautiful as well- that's what i came to see, but drooled over all of it!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails