Monday, June 12, 2017

{Taste Test} Baked Mochi

Happy Monday! We're back from our college road visit road trip. It was rainy and cold but we still loved all of the schools we toured.  Did you miss me? I missed you but tried to keep up with my bloggy buddies on the road.  We missed some excitement at home too --both a bear cub running around our area and an escaped prisoner on the loose!*  
But enough about current events, I'm talking Baked Mochi here today.
What is Moch (pronounced mo-chee)i? According to the package, it's a traditional Japanese food made from short grain sweet rice.  Then it is steamed and pounded to bring out the chewy and nutty flavor.   Sounds interesting! It's also dairy,soy, gluten and wheat free, low fat, vegan and Kosher certified.  I found this package at the grocery store and it was in my fridge for awhile before I finally decided to prepare it.
The directions said to cut the mochi into 1-2 inch squres with sharp knife. It's pretty hard to cut.
Bake them at 450 for about 10 minutes until they puff up and turn golden brown.
Some of the serving suggestions were:
  • Your favorite toppings like:
  • Whipped cream
  • Cream cheese, nuts and honey
  • Ice cream  and chocolate sauce
I had chocolate sauce and sprinkles for dipping. The mochi is not very sweet so a sweeter topping/filling heightens the flavor.  They did puff up and were chewy and nutty.  These were raisin and cinnamon flavored but I didn't taste much of either flavor.  They also come in savory flavors like sesame garlic.  As I was writing this post I found their recipe page  and so many other creative ways to make mochi. I might need to go find another one!  Have you ever tried mochi?
*The bear cub was humanely captured and released back into the wild not so close to civilization and the prisoner was captured as well.
Let's Keep In Touch!




Pin It

8 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Mm!! I need to try these!!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Interesting!!!! This looks yummy for a different type of dessert! Hope you are staying cool my friend! It's hot here - we are at 95 right now so I'm guessing you're higher!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Yum! These look interesting and a good option for a different type of dessert! Hope you're staying well my friend - it's 95 here so I'm guessing you guys are hotter!

Carla from The River said...

An interesting dessert. Thank you for sharing. What grocery did you find it at?

Oh my on the prisoner!
Carla

Clairejustine oxox said...

I've never heard of these before. I would add the chocolate topping too :) Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays Heather.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

This sounds so interesting. I've had the mochi ice cream from Trader Joes.
Thank for sharing at C&C with J&J.
enjoy the week.
Julie

Mama Hen said...

Yup, you were missed! ;-) Sorry it was cold and rainy for your trip. That mochi looks delicious! I saw it today at Whole Foods and thought I wanted to try it. Hope you have a great week!

Creations By Cindy said...

You always share the most interesting things. And, it always looks good. Well, missing out on the action back at home might not have been a bad thing huh? Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails