Wednesday, December 21, 2016

{Recipe} Creamy Oil Free Hummus

Four days until Christmas...are you ready?  I'm still waiting for a few gifts to arrive but beside that, I'm feeling pretty ready.   Christmas break started on Friday so I've had helpers to pitch in and help me get things checked off our to-do list.   We are hosting Christmas Eve brunch and Christmas dinner this year so I have a lot to prepare for that and this will probably be on the menu.
I love when homemade is almost as easy as store bought.  Homemade hummus really is better and you can tailor it to your taste.  I found this recipe and I haven't bought hummus since.  It uses the chickpea liquid (not oil) to make the creamiest hummus.  Why don't you give it a whirl if you love hummus as much as we do?
 Ingredients:
2 - 15 oz cans of chickpeas (or 3 cups cooked) *Reserve liquid from 1 can*
3/4 cup -1 cup chickpea liquid (or veggie broth)
2-4 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 TBS tahini (or 4 TBS sesame seeds)
2-4 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/4 - 1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
 To make in a high speed blender:
Put all ingredients in the blender in order listed, using the lower amounts.  Start blender on low and increase to high.  Use plunger to push chickpeas down towards the blade.  If mixture is too thick, add more water a little at a time.  If using a regular blender, scrape down sides and keep processing until smooth.
Stop blender to taste hummus.
Adjust seasonings and add salt (optional).  We like it extra lemony and garlicky!  Blend briefly. 
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
It should keep for about a week in the fridge (if it lasts that long).  I hope to be back on Friday with a Holiday Home Tour. See you then!
Let's keep in touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Pin It

5 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Mm!! Sounds so good!

We have today and tomorrow, then break!!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

We go through a lot of hummus! I have to try this, it sounds delicious! Sounds like you're in good shape! My girls have one more day of school and then...we're done!

Creations By Cindy said...

I love hummus. I will need to pin this recipe. Merry Christmas Dear Heather. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Hi Heather, this looks and sounds so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe so that I can make this!
Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Julie xo

Clairejustine oxox said...

I've never made my home hummus before, yours looks great Heather :)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails