Thursday, June 9, 2016

{Recipe}Cheezy Hash Brown Bake

Back during my Week In The Life project, I promised to share this new to me recipe and here it is!
This is a hearty, cheesy casserole without a speck of dairy(so it's vegan, yay!). This recipe is also nut free and lower in fat than some of my other vegan cheese sauces.
First you need to make a "cheezy sauce".  
"Cheezy" Sauce* (from Brand New Vegan)
16 oz golden potatoes (like Yukon)
8 oz of carrots
1/2 cup cooking water from vegetables
1/4 cup + 2 TBS nutritional yeast
2 TBS lemon juice
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp brown mustard (prepared)
1/8 tsp tumeric
Scrub the potatoes and carrots, chop up into uniform pieces.  Place potatoes and carrots into a pot of water, boil for 10 minutes.  Let rest for 5 minutes. Transfer veggies to a blender with a slotted spoon, add 1/2 cup of vegetable water (from cooking).  Pulse to mix. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth.
 Hash Brown Bake
{serves 4-6}
6 cups shredded potatoes (fresh or frozen)
2 cups mixed vegetables (fresh or frozen)
1 batch of cheezy sauce* (see recipe above)
salt, pepper, seasonings of your choice
Preheat oven to 400 F. Mix 5 cups (reserving 1 cup) of shredded potatoes with vegetables.
Season with your favorite seasonings. I like this organic 21 spice seasoning from Costco.  I also add salt and pepper.
 Mix in the cheese sauce. Stirring to combine.
 Spread mixture in a square 9 x 9 baking dish.
Season remaining 1 cup of potatoes. I used garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast,salt & pepper.
Spread the remaining potatoes over the top of the cheezy potatoes and smooth out to make a crust.
Bake at 400 F for 45 minutes.  After 45 minutes, turn on broiler and broil the top for 5-10 minutes. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.  
Cut into slices and enjoy!  It's not the pretties casserole but it is tasty. I love that it's so versatile. You can use any kind of vegetables you have on hand and having the option to use frozen hash browns, makes for really quick prep.   You can also easily double the recipe and bake in a larger baking dish.
Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

8 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I was looking for something different to make this weekend and I think I found it! Thank you for sharing !

Tamar SB said...

Super yum!!
I need to do more with nutritional yeast!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Heather, thanks for sharing this healthy vegan recipe. It's one I'd love to try soon. :)

Carla from The River said...

Yummy!
Thank you for sharing.
Carla

Clairejustine oxox said...

What a great recipe Heather! This looks so tasty :)

Thanks for sharing at the weekend blog hop

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Thanks Heather for sharing this healthy recipe with us at Cooking and Crafting with J&J!
Enjoy the week.
Julie

Morgan said...

This sounds like a tasty dinner to me! I'd probably eat the whole thing by myself though - I just love potatoes too much!

Jessica Pelasky said...

What a great way to throw veggies into a dish! YUM! :)

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for Recipes and Crafts: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails