Wednesday, October 7, 2015

{Recipe} Slow Cooker Enchilada Orzo Bake

I found this recipe in an article about vegetarian crock pot recipes and thought it sounded different, and something that I definitely wanted to try.
Ingredients:
 14.5 ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes*
10 ounce can mild enchilada sauce (I made home made)
4.5 ounce can green chilies
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 cup of corn kernels
1 cup of black beans (I used the whole can)
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
4 ounces of cream cheese
2 cups of dry orzo
cilantro leaves (optional)
*You may have noticed in the above photo that I had tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes(I also didn't use fire roasted kind.)  Oops. I found the diced tomatoes and carried on with the recipe. Since i had already opened the sauce, I made some of my Healthy Homemade Marina Sauce.

 

Add tomatoes, beans, corn, chilies, enchilada sauce, broth and black beans to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.  Uncover and add the cream cheese, mixing it in until well blended and melted.
Add the dry orzo and cook on high for another 15-30 minutes, covered.
Add more vegetable broth as needed.
Garnish with (optional) cilantro and serve.  Leftovers were great too!
It's creamy, hearty with just a little bit of spiciness(probably more if you use the fire roasted tomatoes). I love that the orzo cooks right in the crock pot!
{Serves 6}
Let's Keep in Touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking up:
Cooking and Crafting with J & J

Pin It

9 comments:

Bliss said...

Pinned.

Creations By Cindy said...

Ooh, and I can cook this in my crock pot too! I am the CROCK POT queen! LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Oh YES this looks so yummy and I'm always looking for new and easy recipes for the crock! The same old soup gets old! Going to try this over the long weekend!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Another question -so Riley is dairy free, should I use vegan cream cheese or skip it? Thanks!

Tamar SB said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds and looks delicious!

Becky said...

This sounds delicious and I love to cook in the crock pot this time of year!

Carla from The River said...

Yummy! I am pinning. :-)

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Heather, this look so good and yummy.
Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.
Hope you have a nice week.
Julie

Jessica Pelasky said...

What a great, easy, recipe!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails