Monday, February 23, 2015

{Recipe} Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili & Cheesy Cauliflower Bread Sticks


We wanted to have a healthy Superbowl Sunday this year and it started with this spicy chili.  Mr Click found this recipe and we adapted it for our tastes.  I have a few veggie chilies in my arsenal but not one that uses a crock pot and this one used veggie sausage and sounded really good.  
***
Start by adding 4 cups of water to your crock pot. Then add 2 cans of beans of your choice (drained and rinsed) to the crock pot. I used black beans and pinto beans.  Add 3 bay leaves, 3 cups of crushed tomatoes, spices*(1 TBS basil, 1 tsp oregano,1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tsp sea salt, 2 tsp cocoa & 2 tsp cinnamon) and 3 TBS agave nectar.  Put the lid on the crock pot and set to low heat. Don't forget to plug it in like I did on 4th of July with my beans!
 Now it's time for the veggies! You'll need 1 cup each: red and green pepper, carrots & onion, diced.  Add them all to the pan. (The original recipe called for cremini mushrooms but I left them out).  
 It's nice to have a helper for all of the dicing and chopping.  
Add 1 bag of crumbled veggie sausage. I used Wegman's brand  If you can't find crumbed veggie sausage, you can use veggie breakfast sausage patties (defrosted).  
Add 2 fresh jalapenos chopped (use as much or as little as you like). This makes it quite spicy (and we de-seeded ours first.)  Add 3TBS of coconut oil.  
Saute on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
*{in the original recipe it says to split the spice mixture in half and use half in the crock pot, half in the veggies but I missed that part and added them all at the crock pot stage--it still turned out great!}
 Add the sauteed veggies to the crock pot and cook on low for 2 hours.
 In the mean time, make some of these Cheesy Cauliflower Bread Sticks.
After 2 hours (or longer) the chili will be done. This recipe makes a lot so it would be good for a crowd. The veggie sausage gives it a nice kick (along with the jalapenos!).
 Serve with avocado slices, grated cheese, tortilla chips and any other toppings that you like.

Other Yummy Chili Recipes
"Beefy" Vegetarian Chili

Let's keep in touch!

Pin It

9 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Mm this looks so tasty! I tried cauliflower pizza when I still could eat dairy, I need to try it with daiya!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Wow this looks and sounds really good and thanks for sharing the recipe!

April Lou said...

This looked so good that I pinned it to try. My husband starts school full time soon and slow cooker meals will be a must.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

This looks delicious, we eat vegetarian chili almost weekly in the winter so I'm always looking for a new spin on it! I've never tried to use cauliflower in my recipes but I think I will with these cheesy breadsticks! Yummy!

Becky said...

Yum! You can nevery have too many chilli or crock pot recipes :) that veggie/sausage mix would be good for breakfast burritos too I bet!

Carla from The River said...

Yummy! This looks great.

Love Of Quilts said...

Mouth Watering!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

The chili & bread sticks sound amazing!
Thanks for sharing these recipes at Cooking and Crafting with J&J.
Have a nice week and Happy New Yeat!
Julie

Jessica Pelasky said...

What a neat dish! Everything looks so tasty!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J! Happy 2016!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails