Friday, September 5, 2014

{The Abode} Natural Pest Solutions

Happy Friday! Who's excited about the weekend? I know I am!
 Here's a quickie post about bugs and how to deal with some of them naturally.  
I use cinnamon to repel ants when I start noticing them in the summer months. I pour some cinnamon in a row along the countertops in our kitchen to keep them from coming back.   I usually do it at night and then clean it up in the morning.  Cinnamon blends in pretty well with our countertops so it doesn't bother me too much if I have to leave it on them during the day sometimes.  
 I saw some of those little buggers in our laundry room as well and poured cinnamon along the base boards. It makes the room smell good too.
 My other summer bug problem is fruit flies.  We leave most of our fruit out and in the summer we always have an abundance of fruit and veggies on the countertops, in bowls and on a pedestal on the kitchen table.  When I start noticing fruit flies, I use a solution of apple cider vinegar with a drop of dish liquid in a jar. Adding a small piece of ripe fruit helps too.  I will usually put a few of them around my kitchen, near the fruit areas. It attracts the fruit flies and they get stuck in the jar. This works like a charm!  
Do you have any natural tricks for pests in the home?

Do you follow?
Pin It

8 comments:

Carla from The River said...

Fruit flies drive me crazy. Thank you for the tip! :-)
Have a great weekend.
Carla

Jules said...

Great solution and so much better than those nasty insecticides!!!!! Have a great weekend!

Tamar SB said...

I use the same fruit fly solution, works like a charm!

Becky said...

What great tips!! My natural solution is to slap them with my hand ;)

camp and cottage living said...

I like using home made remedies.
and cinnamon is my favorite of all smells. Thanks for the tips, Heather.

Ida said...

We've had the worst problem with ants so I'm curious does the cinnamon really keep them away?

Coombe Mill said...

Love that this is all natural Popping by from Creative Monday

Katie said...

These are awesome! We had ants come in in the summer (through a gap in our back door, that thankfully has been fixed now!) I put a line of borax down, but I didn't know cinnamon would work! That would definitely smell way way prettier! Borax just smells like soap, not bad, but not as yummy as cinnamon!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails