Tuesday, September 16, 2014

{DIY} Chalk Painted Piano Bench

After the success of my Chalk Painted Mason Jars project, I was ready to venture out and try chalk painting a piece of furniture.
I started small with an old piano bench from our last piano. When we upgraded to an upright piano in 2012, the piano movers removed our old grand piano but I kept the bench.
 It sits in front of the keyboard which is across from our regular piano.   It serves its purpose and comes in handy as extra seating when we are entertaining.   The finish had seen better days, it was pretty beat up and in need of a makeover.
 I used American Deco Chalk Finish Paint (from Michael's). The color is Yesteryear and it's a soft, neutral grey.  I painted the top of the bench first to see how it would look and if I liked it.
 I used a foam brush to apply the paint.
 I really liked the results so I kept on painting. Here it is after one coat.
 After two coats of paint.
 I didn't need to do any additional distressing to the piece.
The inside of the top was in pretty bad shape so I painted that as well. I left the interior of the bench unpainted and I love the contrast of the dark, rich wood against the light, painted wood.
 I applied two coats of the clear creme wax and buffed between coats with a soft cloth. The wax protects the paint and gives it a soft sheen.
I think it's an upgrade!
It looks cozy with a faux sheepskin thrown over it as well.

Do you follow?
Pin It

10 comments:

Tamar SB said...

LOVE it!!! You're so crafty, want to come style my apartment?

Carla from The River said...

Great job! You are really creative.
:-)

Dee D said...

Hi, I used to see your comments on Faith, Hope and Love sometimes. I'm so glad I visited you today because I also play the piano and I adore what you did with that bench. It is absolutely fabulous. I even love the sheepskin rug draped over the finished product... :)

Creations By Cindy said...

I cannot believe the transformation! WOW! Heather it looks so good. You go on girl with your crafty self! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Jules said...

Your bench turned out great!!!!! Love the color.

Becky said...

Ah ha! It was a leg! It turned out great!!

Amy @ Marvelous Mommy said...

You did a great job! Pinning this post and following you on social media now!

Bliss said...

I've got a bench waiting on a paint job too. Maybe soon... you inspired me.

Cherie Froelich said...

Very nice! I was thinking of upgrading our piano bench as well. It is in terrible condition, but I hadn't thought of chalkboard paint. Did your cracks just appear naturally? That is a bonus!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

@Cherie..Yes the cracks all appeared naturally! It was so cool!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails