Monday, December 3, 2012

{Get Crafty} Starbucks Cup Angels

I'm pretty sure these are solely my own creation (not sure I should be proud of that?).  Not many people look at their cup of coffee and think "this would make a great angel!".
  I don't know what made me think to make angels out of the festive Christmas Starbucks cups but the idea came to me a few years ago. Sadly I don't have any of my originals but I think I've improved them.
Start by carefully rinsing out your cups and drying them.
The only things I had to buy for the angels (besides lots of Starbucks coffees) were the wooden disks from Michael's.  I bought some solid and some with cut out stars in them.  My previous angels had Styrofoam heads but I wanted something that was easy to draw on.
I practiced drawing some simple faces on paper first.  The simpler the better, if you ask me.
To make the angel's wings, take off the cardboard sleeve, fold it in half and cut into a wing shape. 
Make two folds on either side of the center so the wings will stick out once they are attached.  If you want the wording to show, add the hot glue on this side.
If you don't want the wording to show, add the glue to the other side.
Draw faces on the wooden disks.

Attach the heads onto the cups with hot glue.
I used Sharpies to hold them up until they are secure.






To make halos out of the star cut out wooden disks-
Spread a thin coat of Elmer's type glue a foam brush
and sprinkle glitter onto the wet glue. 
I used my Martha glitters and some other glitters too.
Let the glue dry. Shake off the glitter and see if you need any more.

Here's a shot mid way through my group of angels.
When the glue and glitter are dry,attach the halo with hot glue, try not to let the hot glue drip down onto the face if possible. 

 

You can also make the halos out of twine and glittery pipe cleaners (or anything else you can think of!).
I love the rustic look of the twine.
You can keep the lids of the cups to give your angels a little height and a finished look to their gowns.
I like them either way.
 It was easy to incorporate them into my holiday decor.  
(though normally I wouldn't keep a lit candle so close to them--just for photographing).
Two look sweet just hanging out on the console.
Or for a bigger impact, put a whole flock of them together like I did here on my china cabinet in the dining room.
I can almost hear them singing!

Linking up with:
Debbiedoos





Pin It

24 comments:

Jules said...

Your Starbucks angels are so cute and what a great way to recycle your coffee cups! Way to recycle!

Mel said...

sooo cute! It's like your own little angelic choir.

Life in Rehab said...

Oh, Lord, those are terrific! Sam and Savannah are coffee addicts...maybe I can turn that into good!

dee dee said...

We aren't you so smart! What a fun and festive idea!
dee dee

Katie said...

I LOVE this! I need to start drinking a lot more Starbucks!

Tina said...

Those Starbucks cup angels are the sweetest things!!! I love them, thanks so much for sharing!!

Erin said...

This is brilliant!!! So creative and fun. Wow. I love them!

Monica said...

Those turned out so cute! I need to go out and get me some Starbucks coffee!

Sarah~Magnolia Surprise said...

How cute! And a great way to recycle those cups! Love the wings out of the cardboard sleeve -- very clever!!

Carrie said...

This is so cute!! I would love for you to share it at my Sharing Saturday link party. Another one will be starting Friday at 9 p.m. EST. http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com

Melinda Cornish said...

they are very sweet. Everything I look at becomes a potential something else. I guess great minds think alike!

Mel@Mellywood's Mansion said...

Oh how cute are they, what a cool idea

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

I would love it if you would join me in linking up at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/clever-chicks-blog-hop-10-rural.html

I hope you can make it!
Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick

Splendid Little Stars said...

so cute! love their halos!
Here's another place to link up. My friend Linda is having linky parties on Fridays before Christmas for any blog post Christmas related: http://pruitthandcrafts.blogspot.com/2012/12/friday-finds-for-christmas.html

Jenny said...

Very Creative...

This is such a Clever idea... I think the Grandlittles would have a blast making these...

Cute post for the letter C...

Thanks for linking.

A+

Amy said...

Adorable!!! I'm addicted to Starbucks, so these caught my eye right away. If I used pipe cleaners, I wouldn't have to buy any supplies...hmm! Thanks for linking up at Shine on Fridays!

Ana Lopes said...

So lovely!!! Great project! Thanks so much for sharing the fabulous tutorial! I'd love for you to visit my blog.
Happy week !

Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Katie Drane said...

I love this! Just wanted to let you know that I'm featuring this post in my Christmas Projects Round-Up tomorrow!

Hugs,
Katie
www.funhomethings.com

Mariel said...

So cute! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

Bliss said...

PDC... pretty darn cute and pretty darn clever, thanks for linking these up as well as the peppermint treats.
Bliss

andrea@townandprairie said...

This is adorable... I would love to do this with school children. Don't you think the moms would love to be involved?? Moms- we need you to bring Starbucks Christmas cups to school! GET TO DRINKIN! Thanks for sharing this at the Christmas linky, now following, A

PinkOddy said...

I love angels made from recycled products and these ones are just too cute.

Angie Chavez said...

What a cute idea - I bet kids would love making these! Thanks for sharing the at the Christmas in July link party!

marilyn scott said...

Oh wow, you are super crafty! Love all those ornaments and your creations - amazing! You just might have inspired me to at least try & learn during our holiday vacation. :)

Happy Holidays,
Marlyn @ Christmas decorating ideas

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails