Monday, August 22, 2011

PW Iced Coffee

My daughter and I have been addicted to Starbucks iced coffee all summer.
But it gets expensive at $2-$3 a pop.
One of us saw Pioneer Woman's iced coffee "method" so we gave it a try.
We didn't have a two gallon container handy so we halved the recipe.
You can see the full directions here.
Add 1/2 pound of good coffee to one gallon of water and let sit overnight.
 In the morning (or 8+ hours later) strain the mixture over a fine sieve lined in paper towel (first) and a few layers of cheese cloth (second).
Pour all of it through and push down the grinds to squeeze out all that caffeine-y goodness.
We used a large pot for this.
We cleaned out the pitcher and poured the strained coffee back into it.
Now it's ready! You can store it in the fridge.
Add ice to a glass and pour in the coffee.
Fix it the way you like it.
Stir and enjoy!
A whole gallon costs about the same as one Starbucks beverage.
Linking up with:
Totally Tuesday
K.I.S.S.
Tea Time Thursday
What's Cookin' Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Recipe Link Party
Sweets For Saturday
Pin It

14 comments:

Tanya @ Lovely Greens said...

Hi Heather and thanks for the great tip :)

Jeanette said...

oooh! I need to make room in my fridge for this! Not that this preggo lady needs all that caffeine, but still, it looks so yummy!

Stef said...

Always good when you can save a buck or $30.

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

What a great tip! It looks so yummy.Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Brandi said...

This sounds and looks delicious. I think you just put Starbucks out of business! lol! :)

Michelle said...

I've done this before and it turns out great. It takes some planning ahead but so worth it. Especially when you consider what a rip-off iced coffee is - half of it is ice! Thanks for posting this.

MySweetCreations said...

Great idea! I agree with Heather, a lot of ice is added to the iced coffee. :( Way to make it at home!

Goddess of Baking said...

What a good idea! I love iced coffee too!! I think ill try this!

Abby said...

I'm totally craving iced coffee, now. I'll have to give this a try.

SugarBeam said...

I've seen this on Pioneer Woman and wondered how it would come out- thanks for letting me know, now I've gotta try it! :-}

The Farmers Wife said...

I just saw this on Pioneer Woman's site a week ago and have been playing around with making it too! Love it!

All Things Yummy said...

That's awesome. My hubby loves iced coffee so I'll have to try this.

Tanya Anurag said...

Nothing's better than home-made stuff, especially when it's as good as the stuff available in stores.

Thanks for linking up at Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner and adding to the fun. The party for this week is going on... hope to see you there again :)

http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-4.html

Lisa said...

Way to go in making your own chilly concoction. This made the Top 5 for last week's Sweets for a Saturday. Congrats!!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails